The term “Digital Police Portal” is quite broad and can refer to different online platforms or systems used by law enforcement agencies to streamline their operations and enhance their digital capabilities. While there isn’t a specific universally recognised Digital Police Portal, I can provide you with some examples of digital platforms used by police departments in various countries.
The unveiling of the Crime & Criminal Tracking Network & System (CCTNS) website marks a significant development in the realm of law enforcement services, as declared by the honorable Union Home Minister, Mr. Rajnath Singh. This newly established online platform serves as a centralised hub for various police-related functions in the digital domain. To acquire comprehensive knowledge about the Digital Police Portal, kindly peruse the following details encompassing key aspects, objectives, distinctive features, advantages, the array of services provided, procedural guidelines for reporting crimes and requesting person verification, an overview of the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) Project, and additional pertinent information.
Short Details Digital Police Portal
|Digital Police Portal
|Union Home Minister, Mr. Rajnath Singh
|digitize the database used to manage criminal and crime records.
About Digital Police Portal
To cater to the growing need for online services such as passport verification, filing cybercrime complaints, and conducting employee verifications, the central government has taken a commendable step by launching the Digital Police Portal. This user-friendly platform is a result of the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) Project, and it can be accessed at digitalpolice.gov.in (CCTNS). The Digital Police Portal has already been made available to 13,775 out of the total 16,671 police stations across the nation, empowering them to efficiently input all relevant data into the software.
The introduction of the Digital Police Portal showcases the government’s commitment to leveraging technology to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of law enforcement operations. By centralizing crucial data and providing seamless access to it, this platform enables quicker and more accurate investigations, contributing to the overall safety and security of the nation.
- Streamlining Police Services: The portal aims to streamline various police services by providing a centralised digital platform for accessing and managing essential information and processes. It aims to simplify and digitise tasks such as crime reporting, verification requests, and other administrative functions, reducing paperwork and manual efforts.
- Enhancing Efficiency: The objective is to enhance the operational efficiency of law enforcement agencies by leveraging technology. Through the portal, police personnel can access relevant databases, records, and tools, enabling them to perform their duties more effectively and make informed decisions promptly.
- Improving Information Sharing: The portal facilitates seamless information sharing among different police departments and investigative agencies at the state and national levels. It allows for the quick dissemination of relevant information, intelligence reports, and criminal records, enabling collaboration and coordination in investigations.
- Strengthening Crime Prevention and Detection: The Digital Police Portal aims to strengthen crime prevention and detection capabilities by providing law enforcement agencies with comprehensive access to a centralised national database. This allows for the identification of patterns, trends, and connections across various cases, enabling proactive measures and more efficient investigations.
- Enhancing Public Interaction and Services: The portal aims to improve public interaction with the police by providing online services and options for reporting crimes, seeking assistance, and lodging complaints. This digital interface promotes convenience, transparency, and accessibility for citizens, fostering a closer relationship between the police and the public.
- Online Crime Reporting: The Digital Police Portal enables citizens to conveniently report crimes online, ensuring a user-friendly interface for lodging complaints and providing essential details.
- Background Checks for Employment and Tenancy: Citizens can utilize the portal to request background checks for potential employees, such as domestic helpers or drivers, as well as for tenants or any other necessary purposes. This feature helps ensure safety and security in various spheres of life.
- Ancestry Confirmation Requests: The portal also accommodates requests for confirming one’s ancestry, offering a convenient way to access relevant information for personal or legal purposes.
- Access to National Database of Crime Records: Authorized users, including police personnel, gain access to the National Database of Crime Records through the portal. This access serves citizen services, data analytics, research, and investigation purposes, aiding in comprehensive crime management and prevention.
- Privacy and National Security Measures: The portal strictly restricts the search of Crime and Criminal data and reports to authorized police personnel, safeguarding the privacy of individuals involved and upholding national security standards.
- Email Communication for Citizen Requests: Citizens can expect email responses regarding their requests for criminal antecedent verification services, ensuring prompt communication and efficient processing of inquiries.
- Online FIR Request: To expedite resolution, individuals can utilise the option of submitting online First Information Reports (FIRs) for crimes, enabling a swift initiation of the legal process.
- Complaint Filing Against Law Enforcement: The Digital Police Portal allows citizens to lodge online complaints against law enforcement officials if necessary, ensuring accountability and transparency in the system.
- National Database for Investigative Support: The national database on crime and criminals serves as a comprehensive resource for investigating agencies, providing them with all the necessary information to aid in their investigations.
- User-Friendly Citizen Services: The portal offers a range of user-friendly online services for citizens, including access to victim compensation funds, online tracking of case progress, and the ability to request police verification for passport issuance, ensuring convenience and accessibility.
- Access for Central Investigative and Research Agencies: Central investigating and research agencies can access the digital police portal to view crime statistics and pertinent data, assisting them in their operations and analysis.
Services for Citizens at the Central Level
- Locate Nearest PS
- Missing Person Search
- Generate Vehicle NOC
- Proclaimed Offenders Information
Services Provided by Citizen Portal of State Police
- Complaint Submission to Appropriate Police Station: The complaint was lodged and duly submitted to the relevant police station for further action and investigation.
- Obtaining Copies of FIRs: Citizens have the option to acquire copies of First Information Reports (FIRs) for their reference or legal purposes.
- Checking Complaint Status: The portal facilitates checking the current status of registered complaints, providing updates on the progress of investigations.
- Access to Arrested or Wanted Individuals’ Information: Users can access relevant information regarding individuals who have been arrested or are wanted by law enforcement agencies.
- Application Submission for NOCs (No Objection Certificates): The portal allows citizens to conveniently submit applications for the issuance or renewal of various NOCs required for different purposes.
The Project for Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS)
In 2009, the Ministry of Home Affairs initiated the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) Project with the objective of integrating all police stations through a unified application software. This project aims to enhance investigation capabilities, enable data analytics, and provide efficient citizen services. As a part of the “Modernisation of State Police Forces (MPF)” initiative, the Ministry of Home Affairs has been overseeing the implementation of the Common Integrated Police Application (CIPA) project since 2004. The primary focus of this initiative is to digitise and computerise criminal records maintained in police stations, promoting streamlined and independent access to crucial information.
Recognising the need for a comprehensive national database of criminal records to support research and policy formulation, the creation of the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) was initiated. The project has received a total budget allocation of $2 billion. In line with this endeavor, the Central Government is providing financial assistance to States and Union Territories (UTs) to support various aspects of the initiative, including procurement of hardware, implementation of CCTNS software, establishment of connectivity, system integration, data digitisation, project management, and manpower training.
Steps to Report a Crime
- To begin, navigate to the official website of the Digital Police Portal by entering the URL: https://digitalpolice.gov.in/ into your web browser’s address bar.
- Upon accessing the website, you will be directed to the homepage, which will be displayed on your screen.
- In the services provided to citizens section, select the option labeled “Report a Cyber Crime.” Clicking on this option will prompt a new page to appear on your screen.
- Next, select your respective state of residence from the provided drop-down menu. If you already possess an existing account, you can proceed by logging in. Alternatively, if you do not have an account, you have the option to create a new login ID.
- Once you have selected your state, you will be redirected to the dedicated web portal for that particular state. On this portal, you will be required to input your personal information and provide details regarding the crime you wish to report.
How to Make a Person Verification Request
- To get started, access the official Digital Police Portal website by entering its URL: https://digitalpolice.gov.in/ into your web browser.
- The homepage of the website will then be displayed on your screen.
- Within the citizens’ services section, locate and select the option for “Person’s Verification Request.” Clicking on this option will result in the opening of a new page on your screen.
- Proceed by logging into your account using your designated login credentials. Once logged in, you will be prompted to select the type of verification you require. After making your selection, carefully enter the necessary details for the verification process. Once you have provided all the required information, ensure to save the information before proceeding further.