In a digital era, where technology has revolutionised countless aspects of our lives, it was only a matter of time before government procurement processes underwent a significant transformation. Enter the Government e-Marketplace, popularly known as the GeM Portal. Launched by the Government of India in 2016, GeM has emerged as a game-changer in streamlining the procurement of goods and services for various government departments, organisations, and public sector undertakings (PSUs).
In India, there is a growing trend of popular websites facilitating buying and selling of goods. However, in addition to the private marketplaces, the Indian government has introduced its own dedicated platform for such transactions called the “GeM Portal.” This platform serves as an exclusive space where different government departments and organisations can engage in the trading of goods and services. In this article, we will explore what the GeM Portal entails, how it can benefit individuals, and provide a step-by-step guide on signing up and engaging in buying and selling activities on the platform.
The Government e Marketplace (GeM) portal is a dedicated online marketplace that facilitates the seamless buying and selling of goods for a diverse range of organisations and departments. It serves as an inclusive platform where both private and governmental entities can engage in trade. This website was specifically created by the government to cater to the needs of government officers, ensuring smooth operations for various public sector organisations. The primary goals of the GeM portal revolve around combating corruption, promoting transparency, and enhancing the efficiency of government employment and procurement processes.
The primary objective of the GeM Portal (Government e-Marketplace) is to reduce corrupt practices, enhance transparency, and improve efficiency in government procurement and hiring processes. By providing a centralised platform for all government ministries and departments to conduct their purchases, GeM aims to promote fair competition, equal opportunities, and accountability, while ensuring the optimal utilisation of public resources.
Advantages for Buyers
- The GeM Portal ensures complete transparency and a seamless buying experience for buyers.
- It offers an extensive range of product listings encompassing various goods and services.
- Buyers have the flexibility to make direct purchases up to Rs. 25000.
- GeM Pool Accounts, provided by eleven banks, facilitate secure transactions.
- For purchases exceeding Rs. 25000 up to Rs. 500000, the L1 purchase method is implemented.
- Proprietary Article Certificate Bid allows buyers to acquire specific products based on their requirements.
- The portal enables buyers to track price trends and compare prices from different sellers.
- Buyers receive immediate notifications upon completing their purchases.
- The integrated payment system ensures a smooth and convenient payment process.
- The user-friendly interface of the GeM Portal includes a search option for different product categories and a highly intuitive dashboard, enhancing user experience.
- The GeM Portal incorporates a highly efficient and automated departmental online grievance system.
- Buyers have the flexibility to choose a duration ranging from 10 to 21 days for their purchases.
- Products are delivered with a validity period of 180 days.
- Seller selection in Direct Purchase Mode is based on the PIN code, ensuring convenience and localized options.
- ATC (Agreed Terms and Conditions) library allows the addition of clear definitions and terms for transactions.
- Buyers can make additional deductions when creating the bill, as per their requirements.
- During the technical evaluation process, buyers can determine the eligibility of MSE (Micro and Small Enterprises) sellers for MSE purchase preference.
- Currently, buyers have the flexibility to cancel product contracts within 15 days after the delivery date, even if the seller has already sent an invoice.
Advantages for Sellers
- Signing up on the GeM Portal for sellers incurs no costs or fees.
- Sellers gain access to the national-level public procurement market through the GeM Portal.
- Special rules and services are available for MSMEs (Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises) and startups.
- As the GeM Portal operates online, it eliminates the need for paper-based transactions and physical contact. The contactless nature of the platform streamlines the process, reducing the need for repetitive information input. Transactions can be completed with a simple click of a button.
- Multiple bills can be generated for a single order from a seller, providing flexibility in the invoicing process.
- The GeM Portal ensures transparency in the selection process by providing feedback to all unsuccessful bidders, offering clarity on the reasons for not securing a contract.
- The GeM Portal provides sellers with a user-friendly dashboard that simplifies payment and supply management.
- The Business Cockpit, inspired by suggestions from OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and MAIT (Manufacturers’ Association for Information Technology), has been enhanced with new chart widgets and additional parameters in the existing reports.
- Sellers from the North Eastern states and Jammu and Kashmir are exempt from submitting the Income Tax Return (ITR) during the bidding process.
- Prices on the GeM Portal are subject to market dynamics, allowing for adjustments based on prevailing market conditions.
- The GeM Portal enables direct communication and engagement between sellers and government agencies, as well as the affiliated groups they oversee.
Empowering Efficiency and Transparency
At its core, the GeM portal is a cutting-edge online platform designed to bring transparency, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness to government procurement. By harnessing the power of technology, GeM has revolutionised the way government entities purchase goods and services.
Wide Array of Categories
The GeM portal offers an extensive range of product categories to cater to the diverse requirements of government entities. From essential office supplies and state-of-the-art computer systems to vehicles, furniture, and even specialised services like transportation, housekeeping, security, and event management, GeM covers it all. The comprehensive catalog ensures that government buyers have access to a wide selection of goods and services to fulfill their specific needs.
Seller Registration and Assessment
To ensure a reliable and trustworthy marketplace, GeM enforces a thorough registration process for sellers. Suppliers and service providers must undergo document verification and a seller assessment before they can participate in the government procurement process. This rigorous evaluation guarantees that only genuine and qualified vendors are onboarded onto the platform.
Dynamic Pricing for Enhanced Flexibility
GeM implements dynamic pricing, a unique feature that enables sellers to offer different prices to different buyers based on various factors. Factors such as quantity, delivery location, and urgency are taken into account to facilitate flexible pricing. This feature empowers both buyers and sellers, promoting fair and competitive pricing while encouraging market-driven efficiency.
Promoting Transparency and Accountability
Transparency is a core pillar of the GeM portal. Detailed product specifications, seller ratings, and user reviews enable government buyers to make informed decisions. Such transparency instills confidence in the procurement process, allowing buyers to assess the quality and suitability of products and services. Furthermore, GeM provides a tracking mechanism that enables buyers to monitor the progress of their orders and payments, ensuring accountability and timely execution.
Access for All Government Entities
GeM strives for uniformity and consistency in government procurement by making the portal accessible to all government departments, organisations, and PSUs. From central to state governments, GeM ensures that the benefits of efficient procurement reach every level of governance. By bringing together various government entities on a single platform, GeM fosters collaboration and coordination while minimising redundancies and duplication.
- GST certificate
- Registered Office
- Factory, warehouse
- MSME certificate.
- ID card or Aadhar card.
- Pan card for GEM registration.
- Bank account and bank details
- CIN (Company Information Number)
Registration for Seller
- To begin, access the authorised website of the GeM Portal. On the homepage, locate the menu where you will find the option to register and create an account.
- Upon clicking the sign-up option, you will be presented with a selection to indicate your role as either a purchaser or a vendor.
- Choose the “seller” option by clicking on it, which will lead you to a new page that will open up on your screen.
- On the subsequent page, you will find the terms and conditions section. Click on the “terms and conditions” link, and a PDF document will appear as a popup on your screen. You will then need to select the checkbox indicating your acceptance of the terms and conditions.
- After acknowledging and accepting the terms, a form will be displayed on your screen. Start by selecting the appropriate business or organisation type from the provided dropdown menu, indicating whether you have a company, firm, proprietorship, trust, or government agency. Next, enter the name of your organisation into the designated field.
- Proceed by clicking on the “Next” button to advance to the next step. This will prompt you to enter your personal details in the respective fields provided.
- You will be presented with a choice between registering yourself using a PAN card or an Aadhaar card. Depending on your preference, select the appropriate option and proceed to fill in the corresponding card details as requested.
- Once you have selected and entered the card details, the next step involves verifying the card. The verification process may require providing your email address for verification purposes.
- After successful verification, your registration will be completed, and your account will be created. To access your account, navigate to the home page and locate the login option. Click on it, and then enter your login credentials, including your user ID and password, to log in to your account.
- Next, it is essential to update your profile by validating four key aspects: company details, office location, bank account details, and PAN validation. Ensure that all these sections are accurately filled out and verified to complete the profile update process.
- Prior to participating in the GeM portal, vendors are required to open a bank account that is connected to the platform. They must deposit the required caution money as per the guidelines. Once these steps are completed, sellers can actively showcase their goods, services, or brands and actively participate in bidding on the GeM portal. This allows them to receive orders and engage in transactions seamlessly.
Registration for Buyer
- To begin, access the official website of the GeM Portal. On the homepage, locate the sign-up option, and then choose the “buyer” option from the available selection.
- Afterwards, click on the button labeled “terms and conditions” and proceed to accept the terms and conditions by checking the corresponding checkbox.
- You will be required to fill out the form with your Aadhaar number and the mobile number associated with your Aadhaar. Once you enter the details, an OTP (One-Time Password) will be sent to your registered mobile number. Proceed by clicking on the verification button and enter the received OTP to successfully verify your mobile number.
- Subsequently, proceed to complete the registration form by providing your desired username, password, and email address. Once you have entered the required information, click on the “Create Account” button to finalize the account creation process.
- It is important to note that email address verification may also be necessary. To do so, you will need to visit the homepage and locate the login button. Click on it to access the login page, where you will be prompted to enter your user ID and password to log into your account.
- To create secondary users, primary users can follow these steps: On the homepage, click on the “User” button located in the top right corner. From the dropdown menu, select the option “Add User.” Fill in the necessary information for the secondary user and click on the “Add” button to complete the process. This allows primary users to establish additional accounts for secondary users.
FAQs about GeM Portal
What is the GeM Portal?
- The GeM Portal stands for Government e-Marketplace. It is an online platform established by the Indian government for the procurement of goods and services by government departments and organizations.
Who can use the GeM Portal?
- The GeM Portal is primarily designed for government buyers, including various departments, ministries, and public sector enterprises. However, it is also open for use by certain private entities and individual sellers.
What are the main objectives of the GeM Portal?
- The GeM Portal aims to promote transparency, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness in government procurement. It intends to eliminate corruption, facilitate fair and open competition, and provide a level playing field for vendors.
How can I register on the GeM Portal?
- To register on the GeM Portal, visit the official website and select the appropriate option (buyer or seller). Fill in the required details, accept the terms and conditions, and complete the registration process.
Can small businesses or MSMEs participate in the GeM Portal?
- Yes, the GeM Portal provides special provisions and benefits for Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs). It offers separate categories and preferences for MSMEs to encourage their participation.
How does the GeM Portal ensure transparency in procurement?
- The GeM Portal incorporates various features to enhance transparency, such as competitive bidding, real-time price comparison, seller ratings, and reviews. Buyers can access complete product details and compare prices from different vendors.
What payment options are available on the GeM Portal?
- The GeM Portal offers multiple payment options, including online payments through net banking, debit cards, credit cards, and digital wallets. It also supports government-specific payment mechanisms like e-Payment and Government eReceipts (GeR).
Is there a complaint or grievance redressal mechanism on the GeM Portal?
- Yes, the GeM Portal provides a dedicated grievance redressal mechanism. Users can raise complaints, seek clarifications, and track the status of their grievances through the portal’s online support system.
Are there any fees or charges for using the GeM Portal?
- No, there are no registration fees or charges for buyers or sellers to use the GeM Portal. However, certain transactional fees may be applicable based on the nature of the procurement.
How can I contact the GeM Portal for assistance?
- The GeM Portal provides a Help Desk facility where users can seek assistance, raise queries, or report issues. Contact details for the Help Desk are available on the portal’s website.
It is important to note that the answers provided here are for informational purposes only, and users are advised to refer to the official GeM Portal and its documentation for accurate and up-to-date information.